Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

What is line screen and what should I do with it?

Line screen is a printer's term that relates to the machinery used to print out hundreds or thousands of copies of print. It is related to resolution, but it takes into account the paper, inks, machinery, etc., that will be used to print the project.

The first thing I do when I get a new project from a client is to contact the printer (the person, not a machine) and ask about the resolution settings required for this job. I never, ever take this information for granted!

A printer might tell me the pixel per inch (ppi) resolution for the job, or I might be given the "line screen" for the job. If I'm told the line screen, I multiply that number by TWO to get the pixel per inch resolution for my Photoshop document.

So:  Line Screen x 2 = ppi resolution I need for my Photoshop document.

No comments:

Post a Comment